Lockdown Skin. How increased screen time and time indoors can have a negative impact on your skin.
Lockdown Skin…. life for many has involved a lot of screen time and spending less time outdoors than we had in the first lockdown. Probably due to the colder winter weather.
The increase in time spent at home has led to more screen time, whether it be on TV’s, Zoom calls or extra time on social media.
Did you know ALL screens emit ‘Blue Light’?
Blue Light is otherwise known as HEV – High Energy Visible Light. Digital devices are known as the ‘silent agers of our generation’ This isn’t great news for our skin!
64% of people are unaware of Blue Lights’ impact on the skin. But it can have an effect on more than just our skin;
- Sleep – as it affects levels of the sleep hormone melatonin, it is important to try and reduce screen time 1-2 hours before bed.
- Well-being – increased screen time can lower peoples moods. It is a fact that spending time outdoors and in the fresh air can help boost peoples moods and help with their physical and mental well-being
- Lockdown Skin – Blue Light penetrates deeper than UVA and UVB rays, right down to the dermis. This is where collagen and elastin live so it can contribute to a loss of firmness of the skin along with lines and wrinkles.
How can we protect our skin more?
There are a number of things people can do to prevent getting Lockdown Skin. When you are on a device, you should switch on the blue light filter. Also products should be used with the following ingredients;
- Zinc Oxide – This creates a protective barrier on the skin and can be found in the Obagi SPF50 and ZO Broad Spectrum SPF30
- Vitamin C – This protects and recovers skin cells from the Blue Lights oxidative process. Checkout Obagi’s full Vit C range
- Vitamin B6 – Helps to combat Antioxidant depletion due to Blue Light
- Niacinamide – Restores the skin’s surface cells from Blue Light oxidative stress. Found in the new Obagi Daily Hydro Drops and ZO Daily Power Defense
- Apply a Broadspectrum SPF everyday!
Yes! Unbeknown to most, sun protections now are not just for Spring and Summer or just when you spend time outdoors. Clinically tested Medical Grade products are formulated to protect against UVA, UVB & also HEV/Blue Light.
Always find a Broad-spectrum SPF. These should be worn all day, everyday, indoors or outdoors. This will protect your skin against Free Radical damage and prevent your skin from premature ageing.
To book a complimentary skin consultation with one of our Aestheticians – 01474 249 957 or e-mail us email@example.com